Sunday, March 27, 2011

An Adopted Son's Perspective: Sergei (Part II)



We wanted to share some of the stories of adoption from the point of view of the children, both biological and adopted. It has been fascinating and faith-building to hear them tell their own stories of life from their perspective. The second in this series is from our son Sergei, who is now an amazing 16 year old young man.


Sergei's Story, Part II
Andrei, Pasha, and Sergei in Red Square, Moscow, after Sergei's adoption.
 I didn't really know what it meant                                                       
 One day someone told me that I was going to get adopted. I was 7 years old. I didn’t really know what it meant, but I knew that it was a good thing. As the adoption time came closer, I noticed that everyone was much nicer to me. I didn’t know why. Eventually after what seemed like years, the adoption day came. I spent the whole day waiting, sitting in the same chair for hours. Andrei had to go to court with my parents. I was left at the orphanage because I was too young.                                                                                    


I was so happy
Finally they came. I remember getting in the car with my new family and leaving the orphanage. I was so happy. I knew that I would never be treated the way that I was there. I was given toys and things what would never be taken away from me. I was so happy.
A beautiful Welcome Home party at the Atlanta Airport
Sergei--front and center!
 I loved having parents who loved me
I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t know what my home was going to be like. I didn’t know what it was going to be like living in a new country. I remember coming home and seeing the biggest house I had ever seen. I was so amazed by the amount of room. I had to adjust to this new place. I had all the food I could eat. I was never hungry again. I loved having parents who loved me, and took care of me.

Sergei (front right) with all 21 cousins and 
their grandparents = FAMILY!
School
Going to school was a challenge. I didn’t know any English. I learned how to ask to go to the bathroom, and spent most of the day in first grade asking to go to the bathroom. By the time I was in second grade I could understand everything. Math is still hard though!
Sergei (left) doing a presentation at school
with his friend, Alosha
I didn't know who God was
Going to church was new too. I didn’t know what it was. I had never been to church. I remember people coming up to me and loving on me. I made friends with this guy named Alex Hillis. From then on, I would always want to go to church because Alex always played with me at church. I liked going to church to play. I didn’t know who God was.
Sergei's baptism--with his daddy and our
pastor, Greg Haswell
How can I not love this God?
I gave my life to the Lord, and was baptized. I didn’t really know what it meant to be a Christian. Through the years, I have developed my relationship with the Lord. My love for him has grown so much. It was all because of Him that I was adopted. He worked everything together for my good. How can I not love this God? Even now I learn new things about Him. Looking back, I see all the times God has changed things so that His plan could work. I wonder how different my life would be if I stayed with that foster family. I thank God for putting my grandmother in my life.
Spring Break in Orlando--Sergei in center back
Feel free to leave a comment for Sergei. He will be happy to respond to any questions.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your perspective, Sergei. May God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was actually me who said "Awesome!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. love reading this especially because you are so private

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you so much sergei, this is so well-written and so amazing! you da man

    ReplyDelete