Thursday, May 30, 2013

TIME IN AND THE FARMER'S LIFE

From Beth:

Time In

Lately I've been needing to make use of the helpful Time In concept. Not for my children, but for me! I've had to sit myself down and have these little talks to myself about my behavior. On the outside I am mostly behaving well you will be relieved to know (especially if you are a part of my daily life!), but my emotions have been throwing the most horrible tantrums. My goodness but they are a mess sometimes! We have been going through a stressful parenting season and my feelings have so needed to be brought right up close next to my spirit and given a firm, loving, patient talking-to. Like David in the Psalms, I am having to pull my soul aside and say, "Today, we are going to bless the Lord. That is just the way it is going to be. You can throw all the fits you want, but my suggestion to you, self, is that you get with the program here. Yes, things are tough, but God is tougher, so we are going to go with that truth, alright? Got it?"

A Farmer's Life 

In these Time-In encounters I have been reminding my errant feelings of a few things--things my spirit knows to be true despite whatever current facts are in my face, helping my emotions gain the life-giving and peace-filled perspective of Truth. I tell myself that it's a farmer's life I am living. I am remembering that, as Psalm 126:5-6 says, 
Those who sow with tears shall reap with rejoicing. He who diligently goes out with weeping, carrying the seed bag, shall certainly come in with rejoicing, carrying his sheaves.

Some translations say "doubtless" rather than "certainly." I like them both. Since God has taken the time to add this word, I'm thinking we want to "take Him at His word!" He makes it clear that the outcome of our labors is certain. There is power in the promise. There is strength in the promise.

In difficult seasons I am telling myself that I want to be sure not to just endure until things get better, or until they "feel" better. No, I want to be busy sowing, for I am assured, as are you fellow parent, that when we choose the farmer's life, when we keep sowing seeds of love, patience, truth, identity, hope, faith, relationship, destiny, etc., we are assured that there will come a time of reaping accompanied by some serious rejoicing. Whoohooo!! Sowing in tears is all about hope it seems to me. When I sow I have expectation of a harvest, right? Otherwise, I would not bother to sow all those seeds of love. So while I am dealing with something that causes tears to well up, I don't quit sowing the seed God has given me. 

And certainly I will be rejoicing, the word says. Certainly. When I sow in those seasons where my emotions whisper for me to quit (and sometimes they even yell out at me!), God promises something. It is a certainty, according to Him. I will rejoice because of the harvest. It's a done deal. 

The Mingling Flavor of Fruit with Tears

On any given day I experience an ever present mingling of both reaping and sowing. Seeds sown years ago are bearing fruit, and oh how we rejoice in it! And with the taste of that fruit fresh on my tongue, I get to choose to keep sowing the seeds God has given me, even as unavoidable tears blend with the flavor of victory. I tell myself that my weeping doesn't need to interrupt or obstruct my sowing. It is good to have this mingling because the reaping of previous seasons of sowing feeds my faith for the current sowing opportunity.

So, I tuck my naughty emotions right up close to my spirit and we have our little time-in. I remind myself that I am promised a joyful harvest and that I will be enjoying the fruit that is the inevitable result of sowing. I have some good news to share with myself! I read myself some Truth:

"So let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith." Galatians 6:9-10 
"Happy and fortunate are you who cast your seed upon all waters [when the river overflows its banks; for the seed will sink into the mud and when the waters subside, the plant will spring up; you will find it after many days and reap an abundant harvest], you who safely send forth the ox and the donkey [to range freely]." Isaiah 32:20 
"So don’t throw it all away now. You were sure of yourselves then. It’s still a sure thing! But you need to stick it out, staying with God’s plan so you’ll be there for the promised completion. It won’t be long now, he’s on the way; he’ll show up most any minute. But anyone who is right with me thrives on loyal trust; if he cuts and runs, I won’t be very happy.But we’re not quitters who lose out. Oh, no! We’ll stay with it and survive, trusting all the way." Hebrews 10:36
Jesus, today I choose not to allow tears to interrupt the wonderful work of sowing. I embrace the farmer's life! Would you help me today to walk the path of promise, to stay on the trail of truth in these fields. Give me the heart of one who sows in all seasons, and the seed needed for the fields I am in this day. My trust is in You for all of these things God. And I thank You even now for the harvest, the certain and abundant harvest. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment