Monday, May 2, 2011

PARENTING IN THE DARK

HE REVEALS DEEP AND HIDDEN THINGS
One of the things I have learned to love and appreciate about the Lord is that He is so good at shedding light into dark places. Stephen and I have learned to rely on Him to do this many, many times, especially as we have gone through the process of parenting our adopted children. How we do we gain access to places in our child’s heart and emotions that are hidden in darkness?

“He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.” (Daniel 2:22)       
Now this is good news to an adoptive parent. We often do not know what is going on behind a certain behavior or response, but our God does know. And not only that, because there is no darkness in Him, wherever He goes, Light goes as well.
I remember one of our first encounters with this wonderful truth. Stephen and I were pulling up into our driveway. We had been praying in the car for our children, specifically that God would not allow anything to be hidden in darkness. And as I stepped up to the back door I sensed the Lord say, “Check the computer.” Now, that seemed like a random thought at the time. We thought that we had good rules in place regarding computer use, but had not yet realized the extreme importance of being completely involved in our children’s activity on the computer. I cannot tell you how thankful we were that God shed His light there. Light exposed and freedom was the result. 
“I have come as a Light into the world, so that whoever believes in Me may not continue to live in darkness.” (John 12:46)
I love the Lord for many reasons, but one of them is definitely His kindness. When He sheds a light, it is not the harsh light of shame, accusation, and ridicule. This is no bright spot light that causes eyes to squint and hands to spring up, tightly covering the face. No. When His light shines into darkness, it is the inviting, beautiful light that causes one to look up and to move forward, closer to the source. It is a warm light -- at the risk of sounding corny, I think of it like the light on the beach in the early evening, just before the sun sets.
“He uncovers deep things out of darkness and brings into light black gloom and the shadow of death.” (Job 12:22)

Our adopted children, no matter the age they come home to us, have places in their hearts, in their spirits, in their emotions, that desperately need to be uncovered. Without the beauty and power of the Light of the World, Jesus, we might be frightened or overwhelmed to see what is there. Or possibly you have felt as I have sometimes--quick push that back into the dark and shut the door tight! But how wonderful that we have simply to ask God, and He will be faithful to shed His light at the right time. I think of it as the ultimate parenting tool!

“And I will bring the blind by a way that they know not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known. I will make darkness into light before them and make uneven places into a plain. These things I have determined to do [for them]; and I will not leave them forsaken.” (Isaiah 42:16)

I encourage you to pray often that nothing remain hidden, covered in darkness. And then keep your ears open! Often God will answer in a simple prompting or just a sense you have in your spirit. He will lead you down the paths into your child’s heart and bring His powerful and freeing light. God has determined to do this for you and for your child; it only takes our agreement to live it.

Stephen and I have seen the Lord do this many times over. We still pray this prayer as we walk with our children into the glorious light of their healing and wholeness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment