Monday, July 8, 2013

HEMMED IN BY LOVE

Friends, register now for 
Hope at Home 2013 
September 27-28, Atlanta, Georgia

From Beth:
When my child walked out the door, angry and determined, I heard the Lord whisper in my spirit, 
This child is HEMMED IN BY LOVE. 
What a wonderful thing to hear! And it is true, I have seen it over and over in our family-- God is faithful to His plan of adoption. 
Walk with me through Psalm 23 and let's enjoy who He is to us and to our children-- it is just amazing! (Psalm 23, AMP)

The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.

~The covenant-keeping God reveals Himself to me as MY shepherd. It's a personal thing; a relationship thing. He knows me.
~Jesus meets all of my needs. In the context of relationship with Him, I know that my needs are met. Wow! I have some needs as a mother-- big time-- and I have seen that this is true. 
I am not in lack, because I am in Him.

He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.

~Oh how I love the rest of God. I am learning how to let Jesus lead me to these places of rest. I am learning that there are still waters for me as a mother at any given moment in my day.
~Whatever my destination, when I follow His lead I find the nourishment I need in order to love my children and in turn nourish them. 
~How kind of the Lord to shepherd me to places of rest and nourishment. He could lead me anywhere-- He is the LORD! But He makes it clear that He has a direction He wants to take me in the midst of whatever situation I am in. 

He refreshes and restores my life (my self).

~I confess that I have felt weary at times as an adoptive mother. Have you? Oh how thankful I am that God restores me along the way. What a wonderful gift He gives me, for I have need of it--"to bring back to a state of health, soundness, or vigor." Ask Him, friends, if you are in need of restoration today. He has already made it clear that this is what He does!
~He is restoring our children who have experienced the destruction and brokenness inherent in relinquishment, rejection (perceived and real), neglect, and abuse.This is what He does. This is who He is. Restorer. 

He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him—not for my earning it, but] for His name’s sake.

~Which parenting approach should I take with this child? What is going on beneath this behavior-- is it adoption related, an attachment issue? What is the best schooling choice for this child? Does she need therapy? etc, etc, etc! Oh how I love it that God leads me in the right path! 
~And He does this not based on my strength as a mother, or whether I have kept up with my quiet times this week. No, He leads me for the honor of His name. He has declared He is my shepherd, and He is going to lead me based on His declared identity. Now that is worth a Hallelujah!!
~He goes before me. There is no place in this adoption journey that my good shepherd has not walked into ahead of me. He is already there waiting for me, for He leads me.
It is the Lord Who goes before you; He will [march] with you; He will not fail you or let you go or forsake you; [let there be no cowardice or flinching, but] fear not, neither become broken [in spirit—depressed, dismayed, and unnerved with alarm]. (Deuteronomy 31:8 AMP)

 Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me.

~God is with me. God is love. His perfect love casts out fear. Stephen and I have had to walk with some of our children through some very dark times. Deep valleys of trauma, fear, anger, rage, confusion, detachment-- they have threatened to consume us. Even though I have walked in these shadows, I do not have to fear. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
 There is no fear in love [dread does not exist], but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! (1 John 4:18 AMP)
~He fights for me. I never anticipated the vulnerability I would experience as a mother. That I would need protection never occurred to me. I have experienced God wielding His rod to fend off the attacks of the enemy against me and my children. Again, I must stop and say "Thank You!" 
~To be comforted by Father God in the dark times of life is to know love.  

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. 

~I love everything about this! God Himself is serving up a feast for me. If the Creator God is preparing this meal, you can be guaranteed that it is gourmet and lavish. On my worst day, when the issues we are facing are overwhelming and have the appearance of hopelessness, when evidence of the enemy's work glares at me, God is beckoning me over to enjoy a party. Abundant provision, lavish and delicious, is mine. Right where the enemy can see. Oh how this must anger him! I love it! 
Oh, how great is Your goodness, Which You have laid up for those who fear You, Which You have prepared for those who trust in You... You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence..." (Psalm 31:19-20a NKJV)
~I am anointed by God Himself to mother my children. He has called me, and He knew exactly what He was getting into when He did! I live this life consecrated and empowered, effective to do that which God has called me to. Truth!
~When God is the one providing, there is always overflow. There is always more than enough, left-overs to share with others. 
 

Surely or only goodness, mercy, and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life. 

~God has my back. Not only does He go ahead of me, leading me in right paths, He follows behind me. When I get to the end of any given day, I can often look back and see where I have messed up-- missed an opportunity to love a child, or harshly reacted to an incident, or made a wrong choice-- but God tells me that He follows behind me, cleaning up and setting right with His unfailing love, disinfecting with goodness and mercy.
~God has made a covenant promise to be my shepherd, so surely He will follow up His word with the action of love that will never fail. So much in this journey is unexpected I have found. It is so very good to rest the weight of my hope on a sure thing!

And through the length of my days the house of the Lord [and His presence] shall be my dwelling place.

~God is in this with me forever-- for the whole length of my days. The story is not over yet, and the ending for me and for my children is set. I will dwell with Him. I do dwell with Him. He is my Home.
And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you. (Philippians 1:6 AMP)
Wonderful and Good Shepherd, Thank You. Thank You for these truths of your tender care for us and for our children. Thank You that You have Hemmed Us In with Your Love, Going Before and Following Behind.
Spirit of God, teach us and teach each one of our children to know You as you have revealed Yourself in Psalm 23. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment