Monday, November 5, 2012

JUST ASK

From Susan Hillis:

Do you ever say to yourself, "I didn't sign up for THIS!!!!"?  Often when I feel that way, if I stop to reflect, I realize that I am trusting myself to find a solution to whatever the 'THIS!' is at the moment.  Maybe an angry child.  Maybe distance in a relationship that I expect to be close.  Maybe someone asking for help that is way beyond what I am able to offer.  Well, I am probably more known than I wish I were for making this statement at home and work and church, "I didn't sign up for THIS!" And it's funny that the things I feel that way towards are often flipped inside out and upside down to become the biggest testimonies of all!  So I have been relearning some lessons about the immense generosity that God wants to pour out on His own this week.  

I Couldn't Get Her Picture Out of My Mind!

I couldn't get her picture out of my mind.  The cute little 9 year old girl who lives in an orphanage in Russia, and who has no real hands.  At the end of her left fist are 2 apparently misplaced fingers on one hand, and 3 sticking out rather oddly, almost like broken popsicle sticks, on the other.  And somehow someone had found me and sent me the pictures about two months ago, asking me to find a hand surgeon who wanted to make her two hands.  I had tried to ignore the picture, having no idea how to help.  But I couldn't.  It was just stuck there in my mind and wouldn't seem to move or even fade away.  So I wondered if perhaps God was going to show me a way to help her.  
"I don't have much time to give to this," I thought. "Lord, I wonder who could help her?" 
Immediately the name of a very capable children's physical therapist whose email address I had, came to mind.  I decided to send her a note at 11:00 pm last Wednesday night - "Well, I tried," I thought, wondering if she would have any ideas.  Before 7:00  the next morning, she had replied to my note, giving me the name of a hand surgeon in Atlanta who she expected would be thrilled about helping this little girl, and with whom she is connecting me.  I feel like a small little bead in a hugely long necklace that God is designing to reflect the intentional beauty of its Creator.  

I Couldn't Get "Just Ask" Out of My Mind

As is my custom in the mornings, I was enjoying having time with the Lord as I watched the light of day replace the darkness of night.  As I was quiet, in a listening frame of heart and mind, I had these two words strongly impressed on my mind:  
JUST ASK  
It is what I had done the night before with the physical therapist.  JUST ASK. 
And it was how I needed to live more fully with our Lord.
JUST ASK.  
I had an insurmountable challenge at work that day and it occurred to me, 
JUST ASK.  
So I did - and was immediately assured of help I did not expect.  And somehow, now these two words,
JUST ASK 
seem to have replaced the spot occupied by those two misshapen hands that had sat immovable in their place.  And along with them, the reminder from the words we know so well, "You have not because you ask not." (James 4:2)

So this week, dear one, 
JUST ASK.  
Ask God for what you need.  
Is it wisdom?  
JUST ASK.  
Let's just ask for Daniel's type of wisdom - 10 times that of the most knowledgeable in the kingdom.  
Is it healing in a relationship?  
JUST ASK.  
Let's ask the One who makes all things new, and who broke down the barrier of the dividing wall between Jews and Gentiles.
Is it provision that extends way beyond your own capabilities?  JUST ASK.  
Our Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills.  It is so easy for Him to sell a few!

We have a Father who DELIGHTS to give good gifts to His children!

Dial the Heavenly Phone Number

My roommate in college, Jane Adams, would often giggle and say, "Susie, just dial the heavenly phone number....ISA-6524."  And that number is indeed an irresistible invitation:  "BEFORE THEY CALL I WILL ANSWER AND WHILE THEY ARE STILL SPEAKING I WILL HEAR." (Isaiah 65:24)

Let's Just Ask

Many of you know the Riders, who have been praying for their little daughter in Kyrgystan for 5 years.  They met her expecting to shortly bring her home on the subsequent visit, only to have the laws stop all international adoptions before they could return.  That dear little girl needs her parents, and these dear parents long for their little girl. A number of folks are praying and fasting for doors to miraculously be opened.  Will you join and JUST ASK now for her to be miraculously united with her family? 
Together we are, dear friends, participating in changing the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment