Monday, March 3, 2014

LOVE EARTHQUAKE--THE PROMISE OF ADOPTION

From Beth:

So often God encourages me through His Word. Not just broad encouragement for life (although I do love that!), but often very specific words or pictures that are like an army general putting the enemies of parental anxiety or disappointment to flight. The Word of God is truly living my friends, filled with solutions and direction for us as we parent our children. 

At church on Sunday a young mother shared something God had shown her from Acts 16 that has become a prayer for me this week. I thought you also might like to join me in this Word Prayer for your child too. 

So, the scene is this: Paul and Timothy are preaching and praying, and in the process making some folks pretty angry. They get thrown into jail as a result. Their enemies are so filled with hatred for them that the guard who took the orders to imprison them 
put them into the inner prison (the dungeon) and fastened their feet in the stocks. (v. 24)
It wasn't enough to put them in the most remote, and presumably most secure, cell. The guard added another layer to their captivity, chaining their feet as well. 

I have seen a similar attempt at imprisonment in many children who have experienced trauma. The enemy saw an opportune time to bring darkness and limitations where brightness and open vistas should have been. 

For of this I am sure, not one of our children who came to us through adoption was destined for the prison of rejection, trauma and neglect! 

But take a look at what happens next. This is where our prayer comes in!
Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the very foundations of the prison were shaken; and at once all the doors were opened and everyone’s shackles were unfastened. (v.26)
I have thought a lot about foundations since we adopted. Our children were older when they came home (5, 10 and 7, 10 years old) so the realities of the foundations that were laid in the atmosphere of relinquishment, and then their Russian orphanage, have been painfully clear in my mind. So I LOVE this story in Acts 16.

God sends an earthquake of destruction--a LOVE EARTHQUAKE!  This is a destruction you and I welcome though, for this Father Love  breaks up the hardened stone of rejection and all it's residue. 

The very foundations of the prison of trauma are shaken and those who were held captive are SET FREE. 

Bondage Broken
Chains Undone
Shackles Unfastened
Doors Opened

This is the Gospel, friends! This is what Jesus died to accomplish in my life, in yours, and in each of our children. I am seeing it happen before my eyes right here in our family! No amount of time passing or circumstance shouting at me will make me back away from this promise for my children. It is the Promise of Adoption. 
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,Because the Lord has anointed Me...to heal the brokenhearted,To proclaim liberty to the captives,And the opening of the prison to those who are bound. (Isaiah 61:1)


Father, I simply pray Your Word over  _____________. Send an earthquake of Your love--I welcome this in whatever form you think best. And may the result of this shaking in his/her life be Freedom to live unhindered. For You have said that indeed, "it is for freedom" that You have set ______________ free. (Galatians 5:1) Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment